Re: Centralized Alert Log Monitoring

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 12:48:02 -0800

> Any ideas?

Yeah. It involves Perl of course.

This sounds like a natural evolution for the stuff I already have.

The distributed version will be in the Perl book. If I had time I would create the centralized version for it, but I can't do it right now.

'Why even mention it?' you ask.

Well, it never hurts to cast about for ideas on how to do it.

The cleanest way to me would be to have a daemon/Service ( one per database, unix or Win32 ) on the db server side that monitors the alert log. All it would do is read the alert log, and ship off new lines that appear ( via TCP socket ) to a centralized analyzer.

The analyzer would be a non-forking ( Win32, remember? ) TCP server accepting the data from the unix daemons and win32 services, writing it out to a master file, data files per database, or to Oracle tables . Lots of ways it could be stored. ( re the non-forking: Perl threads aren't ready for prime time )

The analyzer would check for patterns in the text that indicate that someone should be paged. These could be global or at the database level, probably a combination with db level overriding global where it exists.

Emails, pages, what have you would be sent, recorded, the errors recorded, etc.

Both client and server would require unix and win32 specific versions, as writing a win32 service is sufficiently different from a unix version to warrant a different code. base.

Might make a nice rev 2 tool.

Any thoughts on this?

Jared

                    dmeng_at_focal.co

                    m                    To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    Sent by:             cc:

                    root_at_fatcity.c       Subject:     Re: Centralized Alert Log
Monitoring
                    om

                    01/07/02 11:50

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

Thanks all for the reply.
To make the problem more challenging, I would like to add that ( sorry for not mentioning about this in my original E-mail ) our shop has both NT and Unix.

Dennis Meng
Database Administrator
Focal Communications
847-954-8328

                    "Brian Haas"

                    <bhaas_at_musiciansf        To:     Multiple recipients of
list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    riend.com>               cc:

                    Sent by:                 Subject:     Re: Centralized
Alert Log Monitoring
                    root_at_fatcity.com

                    01/07/02 01:27 PM

                    Please respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Dennis,

I'm not sure if you have any NT boxes or not, but for the unix side have you considered setting up an NFS share? You could store one copy of the script there and mount that share on the db servers. Then just schedule it like you normally would (cron,at). Depending how your script works, you may need to abstract out hard coded values, and pass them as command line parameters for file locations, sid, etc. We do this for our web site code and all of our utility scripts. It makes maintenence much easier.

HTH, -Brian

Author: Brian Haas
  INET: bhaas_at_musiciansfriend.com

  INET: dmeng_at_focal.com