Re[2]: migration

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 12:00:13 -0800

One more voice of agreement. Been there, done that, Facilities was 'nice' enough to leave the dent in the wallboard that I made last time. Do each step no matter how simple and foolish sounding, wait for it to complete before moving on. It hurts less!

Dick Goulet

Author: Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com
Date:       1/7/2002 11:05 AM

I've done quite a few migrations and I just wanted to reiterate what Jared said. There are a lot of little steps listed in the migration guide that don't seem important but if you ignore them, you can really screw up your migration. So follow the steps listed and test, test, test.

Cherie Machler
Oracle DBA
Gelco Information Network

                    Jared.Still_at_ra

                    disys.com            To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    Sent by:             cc:

                    root_at_fatcity.c       Subject:     Re: migration

                    om

                    01/07/02 12:26

                    PM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

The best advise is to *read* the migration manual.

Then build a test database and document the steps needed for your site to do the migration.

This actual steps needed from the migration manual is highly dependent on your environment.

Jared

                    Nirmal Kumar

                    Muthu Kumaran        To:     Multiple recipients of
list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    <NIRMALK_at_qtel.       cc:

                    com.qa>              Subject:     migration

                    Sent by:

                    root_at_fatcity.c

                    om

                    01/07/02 08:00

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

Hi guru's,

Can someone guide me how to do the migration from oracle7.3.1 to 8.1.7.

I have all full cold backup of Oracle731 database.

Now i want to migrate it to Oracle817.

What i did is:

  1. i created a new service using oradim command,
  2. Modified init.ora file accordingly and restored all database files in appropriate directory folders.
  3. While i'm tring to migrate it with migrate assitant after 15 mintes it will hangup.....

Any one have best soltion to do this task?....

Is any manual steps are there to migrate a database as like creating database with step by step?.

Thanks in adv.

Rgds,
Nirmal.
(See attached file: att29yx1.dat)