ALTER TABLE MOVE LOB ... Watch Out !!!!

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 09:24:05 -0800

Over the holidays, as is the wont of many a DBA, I was doing some work while the databases were relatively quiet. One thing I did was to move a lob segment to another tablespace. The lob segment contains employee pictures for our online phonebook. After the move I looked at 50 of the pictures and they all properly displayed. "Humph!", I thought, what this about a problem with moving lob's. The move was done on the afternoon of New Year's Eve. The next day, I got a frantic phone call. Selects against the table such as "select distinct modified by from ..." were returning the value 'Y' instead of the key of the person modifying the record, other fields were equally messed up. When I tried to look at a date field, It squawked about format problems. Things were very much hosed. It was as if the logical table did not map properly to its physical counterpart. Interestingly the 7 records added since the lob was moved were all okay.

I was able to recover from this disaster. I had exported the table before the move. I moved the 7 "good" rows
to another table. Truncated the corrupted one, performed the import, and moved the 7 good records back in.

I had never seen Oracle corrupt a table so, and hope to never again!!

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Acclerator Center
ian_at_slac.stanford.edu

Author: MacGregor, Ian A.
  INET: ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jan 04 2002 - 11:24:05 CST