RE: How to stop access to prod instance ...

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 08:42:06 -0800

Raj,

The short answer is - you can't. Oracle, being as open as it is, is available for anyone who has an account by any software that can call it
(even ms Excel!). There are just too many tools that use ODBC to try and
stop them all.

The long answer is to change your forms application so that it hides the real user account and password from the user.

for example: Say a user starts the form and logs-on as raj/rajpw. This raj account would have access to a stored procedure that reads a database table to retrieve another oracle account/password (say raj$/raj$pw). The form then disconnects and re-connects as this user. This user (raj$) has the real access to the db tables that the application needs.

Of course, someone who knows oracle can figure this scheme out and crack the password, but the normal person would not know.

Another way to do this: At my prior employer, we found that we could write a 'C' program that could link with the forms run-time libraries. The 'C' program was run by the users, and it actually ran the startup form and performed the connection to a private Oracle account. Access within the application was controlled by menus and the users System account id.

hope this helps.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Mercadante, Thomas F