RE: A DBA's career development

From: Randy Kirkpatrick <randywk_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 10:58:04 -0800

I went the ERP route after having been an Oracle DBA for 3 years in 2001 when I was recruited by SAP to become a Basis consultant even though I had no SAP experience whatsoever (I think there were around 40 of us, many without any previous SAP experience). They put me in boot camp and fully trained and certified me in SAP Basis, but then the market dried up and they were unable to keep me (and many others) billed at their ridiculous rate. As a consequence, I was laid off along with 10 others from the new hires. (I believe SAP America also laid off to what amounted to close to 8% of their workforce the next month).

But, I firmly believe the "shake-down" was merely an adjustment and partly due to the economy as well customers demanding more value for their money. ERP will be around for a long time and people with those skills are very much in demand. I've been contacted by recruiters all over the country (but I have no desire to relocate!). I think it's very desirable to be working for a shop running ERP, SCM, or CRM packages as well as multiple flavors of databases because many companies are "branching out" and taking a "best of breed" approach and the experience will prove to be valuable.

Randy Kirkpatrick
home: (303) 772-7467
Clickz.com, October 22, 2001
I spent some time recently with business leaders in the Bay Area. We discussed a number of topics—finance, marketing, alliance, and exit strategies. But, surprisingly, one subject area never came up: e-business, the Internet, or anything even remotely related to information technology.

I think that to become an IT Architect doing ERP you need to be part of a shop that already does it (? mind you, I am not an ERP person, so I probably don't know what I am talking about, please correct me if I'm wrong). You must know clients already, and they have to be comfortable working with you, because of the impact --> they have to trust you. Hence potential higher revenues if you are reliable at ERP and do a great job. Once they hire a firm to do an ERP project, will the client still need its services once that project has completed? That must be a challenge, continually looking for future contracts. I imagine you have to be comfortable making presentations to Board members.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle DBA)
Acting Head, System Admin & Operations