Re: Shared pool wait for library cache pin

From: George Schlossnagle <schlossnagle_at_pythian.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 09:48:22 -0800

> George/Arun,
>
> Thanks for your helpful replies. This information may help me
> explain the performance problems that peaked yesterday.
>
> I do have timed_statistics set to true and my version is 8.1.5.
and sql_trace? There are some workarounds posted in the bug report for the timed statistics error.

> How do you define whether a version count is "high" ? Is there
> some threshould that you cross when it becomes "high". Is it
> a percentage of total statements or users or what?
It should be completely unrelated to both those variables. Basically (disclaimer: this is purely speculation based off observation and experience), the loaded versiosn of a query are kept as a linked list. When a session soft parses the query, it has to go through all the versions to find the current valid one. it has to hold the latch as it searches the list. I would worry about any version counts over 100.

> This problem seems to have creeped up on us over time.
> After I flushed the shared pool yesterday, we seem to be
> o.k. right now. Our application owner is concerned that this
> problem may recur.

If the query is not active at the time of the flush, it should be eligible for removal. If it's frequently executed, you may not be able to flush it out with a shared pool flush. If the count increases slowly, this may be a valid workaround for you.

> If we do indeed have this bug, then our only recourse seems
> to be either to upgrade to 8.1.7.x or to use the work-around of
> flushing the shared pool, right?

Be aware that invalidations (which new versions can be attributed to) can also be cause by changing dependencies. Analyzing your tables or truncating dependent objects will also cause this. There are a number of distinct, unrelated causes of high version counts in 8.1.5, I would try to nail down which it is and attack the problem from there. Again, if the counts grow slowly and a flush resets them, then you have a great workaround to hold you until you come up with a robust solution.

George

> Thanks for taking time to reply.
>
> Cherie
>

> George