Re: VLDB backup policy

From: George Schlossnagle <george_at_omniti.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 09:09:30 -0800

I would also suggest (in a world somewhere between ideal and 'cheapest') using Veritas NetBackup with the Block-Level Incremental extension for Oracle. This is really nice for saving on tape costs and backup time - it performs incremental backups of your datafiles on a block level (thus the name), meaning that in a large but moderately static datatabase only your full backups will be huge.

I would also recommend (closer to the ideal world), a (as many as you can afford)-head LTO based jukebox system so that you can stream your data to multiple drives simultaneously.

In a perfectly ideal world, I would also agree with Rachel's advice to use SRDF for box-to-box storage mirroring, but even with that nothing replaces having long-term storage on tape (for example, SRDF does _not_ prtoect you against block-corruption if you do it close to real-time, is infinitely (100+ times) more expensive than tape, gig for gig, and doesn't allow for multiple versions (unless you have a bunch of extra arrays lying around, see caveat 2 regarding $'s)

George

Author: George Schlossnagle
  INET: george_at_omniti.com