Re: Becoming a DBA questions

From: Joe Testa <teci_at_the-testas.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 18:29:04 -0800

Edward, i beg to differ, the ONLY thing that OCP is good for is a discriminator between to evenly qualified/interviewed candidates.

As someone who does hiring of oracle DBAs and who's been one for 10 years and is OCP, I'm skeptical of those who make a big deal out of being OCP, since that tends to make me believe that they DONT have the experience to back it up.

Joe
8 and 8i OCP(but rarely makes it known).

Edward Lock wrote:

> As someone with 7 years in the HR (Compensation) field, and now in the
> IT/ERP field working on my Oracle DBA OCP, I can speak with some
> knowledge and experience.
>

> Using the term "Entry Level" on a resume is self-defeating. Most
> technical resumes are still screened by by the HR departments first,
> before the hiring managers even see them. A good recruiter will be able
> to identify whether you have the experience or not. If not, they will
> defer a judgment call to the hiring IT manager anyway. That doesn't
> mean that you should lie on your resume or deceive anyone. But don't
> shoot yourself in the foot before you even get your foot in the door.
>

> Annual salaries for DBAs are, indeed, coming down. If you can get ahold
> of a good IT salary survey, make note of not only the average salary,
> but the median salary. The median salary is what is commonly used to
> benchmark a position--not the average salary. If a formal salary
> structure exists at a company, they will normally use the median as the
> compa-ratio for the particular paygrade or step. Use common sense, do
> your homework, and ask what you're worth; but always leave room for
> compromise.
>

> MS Access IS a relational database. However it is a file-server
> application, not a client-server database, and was not designed to
> handle large transactional systems over a large network. It is designed
> for small to medium sized, non mission-critical business environments.
> Properly designed, MS Access can serve many purposes, but you will never
> find Payroll or Financial systems using MS Access as a db platform or
> front-end. MS Access is a great environment for learning databases and
> SQL, but it is only a starting point.
>

> Concerning Oracle training--use everything that you can afford. If it's
> a career-change, then consider formal Oracle University instructor-led
> training classes. If you're already in the field, then self-study may
> work. It takes tremendous self-discipline to go the self-study route
> with books and CDS or online training.
>

> People who say that the OCP is valueless to the market have never
> tested. I say to them--why not test?
>

> Edward Lock
>
> Sr. Programmer Analyst
>
> PeopleSoft Project Office, University of Houston System
>
> ejlock_at_central.uh.edu <mailto:ejlock_at_central.uh.edu>

Joe Testa, Oracle DBA
Want to have a good time with a bunch of geeks? Check out:
http://www.geekcruises.com/standard_interface/future_cruises.html
I'm presenting, when registering drop my name :)

Author: Joe Testa
  INET: teci_at_the-testas.net