RE: Becoming a DBA questions

From: Karniotis, Stephen <Stephen_Karniotis_at_compuware.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 09:52:19 -0800

Good afternoon all:

   I have been holding back on replying to this email because I really wanted to see what some of the other answers were, especially ones related to OCP. Rachel C. will understand as my answers will be very direct.

  1. What is the average salary range for an entry-level DBA position? Or a position for someone who is just starting out as a DBA? >>> As a person that has worked as an Oracle DBA for over 13 years, the entry-level salary had changed quite dramatically. From the mid-to late 1990s when starting DBAs could make upwards of 100K to "REALITY" when entry-level DBAs should be making no more than 70K. Some may disagree, however, I don't think paying high salaries is warranted just because the person is a DBA. If they don't have the experience, they don't deserve the high monetary return. I would say that 50K is probably on the high end for entry-level DBAs. The days of high salaries, similarly the high consulting rates, are gone and organizations are now back to reality. I actually had someone whom has been out of work for over 6 months refuse a salary of 65K as a DBA because he felt it was demeaning for him to accept it.
  2. In a job resume, should I request an entry-level position or would that set me up for no phone calls? >>> I disagree with everyone else regarding not using "entry-level" on your resume. If you have no experience and you are looking to work in a team environment, then using this wording is acceptable. You will have to pick the job postings carefully so you don't send resumes to organizations that require lots of experience. If you can control that, then remove "entry-level" and use "junior" instead.
  3. What are some steps I should take to becoming a DBA w/ the background that I have (ie. generated databases w/ MS Access)?
    >>> Well, MS Access, although people consider this a relational
    database, is not. It is a file system that looks like a relational database. Generating databases in MS Access is nothing like creating database environments in Oracle. You will honestly need to start from scratch. The data modeling and application database creating may be similar if you followed the normalization rules and generally accepted guidelines. I would highly recommend using either Oracle's online learning network, locating a college/university where they teach Oracle. These do exist as I have taught several of these classes in Michigan. I would highly recommend contacting the Los Angeles Oracle User's Group for the location of courses that are taught. If you are a devoted person when it comes to online training, then Oracle online learning is a good start. There are other organizations that offer Oracle online training, however, I don't remember their names. Understand that online training only provides you the bare basics. It is not going to give you the exposure and experience needed to be a true DBA. a) Recommended training/education in Los Angeles area? b) Where do you recommend I study & is online training valuable?
  4. If I could learn Oracle software on my own through Independent study (books & reference sites), could this be sufficient enough to go about to get a job?
    >>> OK. This is where I disagree with everyone. The OCP is valueless
    to the market. It looks good on the resume because almost no organization really understands how it is obtained. As one of the authors for the first independent Oracle certification, we designed the certification exam so that inexperienced Oracle DBAs COULD NOT pass it. It required Experience!!! The Oracle OCP only requires you to take some training, read some books, and then take the exam. We as experienced DBAs has proven this time after time by giving the exam to people that have never been DBAs in their careers and have only read some basic Oracle Concepts material. There are a lot of OCP DBAs that still don't understand how to get stuff out of Oracle's Data Dictionary or, for that matter, what is a data dictionary. I see no value in the OCP except as a training mechanism. When high school students can pass the exam without any experience in Oracle, that should tell you the value of the exam itself.

        If you can learn portions of the Oracle software on your own, Great! It will be impossible to learn all of Oracle on your own as the software is vast in features and requires different configurations that you may not have available to you. In teams of acquiring a job from learning the software, you may be able to get a job working in a team of Oracle DBAs. However, I will be the first one here to say that I would not hire you as a stand alone DBA with just that type of experience. For small shops, maybe, but for enterprises, no way.

  1. Is the OCP certification necessary?
  2. If I took this independent study route instead of formal training from like a vocational school, would the steps to getting a job (or even my OCP certification) be the same? Or would it be more difficult without formal training? Independent study mechanisms are typically not structured in learning capabilities. You need a structured model to properly learn the ridiculous things in Oracle, especially with Oracle9i. I would start with some basic online training and then move to a semi-formal study program.
    >From there, either vocational, self-study or a more formal class would be
    beneficial. 5. What are some valuable books and resources to aid in my training?
    >>> Rachel's DBA 101 book would be an excellent choice. Some of the
    books by O'Riely and Oracle Press would also help you. Many people have given excellent suggestions here. There are so many titles that I would not beg to know them offhand.
  3. How much does Oracle9i cost & would it be worth it to get since i want to learn? Are there evaluation copies out there that I can get my hands on?
    >>> You can download Oracle9i from www.oracle.com. In terms of cost, it
    varies depending on the number of CPUs and hardware chosen. You can also pay for an Oracle Technology Network membership and receive the CDs from Oracle. Understand that Oracle is not a small software product. The requirements on your hardware are quite large, so make sure you have enough bandwidth in terms of CPU and memory before investing in it. 7. What are the basic introductory courses/resources/training I could do to learn or get started in DBA training? 8. Basically, please list the steps you took to become a DBA (starting with education/training to job entry) and how you sould suggest I should go about starting to learn the fundamentals and then more in depth?

7 & 8 are too generic. I would advise contacting your own DBA staff and asking them this question. I always recommend becoming an Oracle developer before becoming a DBA. DBAs that have never developed Oracle-based software will never understand the issues related to query optimization, performance management, etc. as well as if they had attempted to create an Oracle-centric application. In many cases, I have seen Oracle DBAs with no development experience really screw up an application environment.

Hope this helps.

Thank You

Stephen P. Karniotis
Technical Alliance Manager
Compuware Corporation
Direct: (248) 865-4350
Mobile: (248) 408-2918
Author: Stephen Andert
  INET: StephenAndert_at_firsthealth.com

Author: Karniotis, Stephen
  INET: Stephen_Karniotis_at_compuware.com