RE: Redo Logs Question

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:50:39 -0800

Tom,

My general rule of thumb in determining how large the redo logs should be is to size them so that they fill no sooner than 20 minutes apart. This is *not* a hard rule by any means. 20 minutes gives log writer plenty of time to clear them so that they can be ready for the next go-around. You can make more room available by making them much larger. The trade-off is in database restore/recovery time (the larger the redo logs, the larger the archive logs, the longer it will take to process each one during recovery).

In your case, lets say we try and calculate the 20 minute rule. Right now, you are filling 5k every 90 seconds. To extend this to 20 minutes, you need to:

  20min*60sec=1200sec/90sec=13*5k=65k.

If you increase your redo logs to 65 k, you should switch every 20 minutes.

You really need to get to the backup and recovery class. It is the basis for determining just these type of questions. If I were you, I would get back to your management and stringly urge them to get you to a class ***WELL BEFORE*** you get into production.

Hope this helps

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Tom Schruefer
  INET: tschruefer_at_mail.howard.k12.md.us

Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
  INET: NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Dec 31 2001 - 10:50:39 CST