Re: VNI-2015 LInux server / winNT station / Linux server

From: <Srini.Chavali_at_Cummins.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 12:22:22 -0800

Joe/Kim,
It *is* a security risk. See Note 167001.1 on MetaLink. HTH
Srini Chavali
Oracle DBA
Cummins Inc

Joe Testa <teci_at_the-testas.net>@fatcity.com on 12/21/2001 07:00:17 PM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc:

well if it is owned by oracle then only oracle type jobs can be executed by the (un)intelligent agent), if you needed to run a job that needed privileges outside of oracle, it wont run, hence the reason it needed to be owned and setuid of root.

is it a security risk, no doubt, would i run it on my prod machines, probably not but for development, i would.

joe

Kimberly Smith wrote:

> Well, if root is suppose to own it then how come
> when it was changed it to oracle it worked? I must
> say, I never looked but I installed the 9i OEM and
> did not run root.sh after and it still worked. Since
> I don't have root access I don't see how it could be
> owned by root. That was on HP. Just confused.

Lists

Author: Joe Testa
  INET: teci_at_the-testas.net

  INET: Srini.Chavali_at_Cummins.com