RE: RE: database administration questions

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 10:43:14 -0800

Yeah, once they find out this job isn't a cakewalk, they vanish.

For those that:

All others need not apply.

Jared

"No guts, no glory" ;)

                    "Kimberly

                    Smith"                To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    <ksmith2_at_myfirs       cc:

                    tlink.net>            Subject:     RE: RE: database administration
questions
                    Sent by:

                    root_at_fatcity.co

                    12/27/01 09:00

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

You need to find some new cooks then.

Author: "CHAN Chor Ling Catherine (CSC)" <clchan_at_nie.edu.sg>
Date:       12/26/2001 4:50 PM

I quite agree with Kimberly. I used to be a full-fledge Oracle programmer but wanted to dabble with database administration. I asked my boss whether I
could be a database administrator. His answer is yes but I still need to maintain my current systems. Now, I am a database administrator-cum-programmer. I support turnkey projects, automate processes for my users, maintain current projects, install/maintain database
& support Oracle Applications etc.

Prepare for lots of OT but what the heck, U will get to learn a lots of interesting things in the process ....

New Bees

                Author: LBanzali_at_aol.com
                Date:       12/23/2001 11:15 PM

                Hi!
                I'm looking into getting into the field of Database
Administrating.  Right
                now, I have experience with MS Access and have created
several databases for
                companies that I have worked with in the past with Access.

                I'm looking for a jump in my career and the next logical
step for me, I
                would
                think, would be in database field.  However, I also have
some networking
                knowledge (Cisco certified...).  So, I'm looking into the
advantages of both
                fields.  I have some questions & I'm not sure who to ask or
where to get my
                answers.  But, here they go:

                Questions for a Database Administrator:

                1)  What is your typical workday like?
                2) Do you work a lot of overtime?
                3) What are the most valuable databse programs to learn?
                4) If I was to look into learning these, should I take
classes?  Where would
                you recommend I look for classes in the Los Angeles area?
                5) What language, if any, are important (Java, XML, Visual
Basic, etc.)?
                6) What programs are starting to get obsolete?
                7) Is it worth it to get vendor certifications (Microsoft,
Oracle)? If so,
                are there certain books that you recommend to study?
                8) Is it worth it to get a degree?  If so, what specific
one?
                9) Are there any other programs or technologies that are
valuable to learn?
                10) Are there any associations or other groups that you
belong to as a DBA?
                11) What kinds of companies hire DBAs?
                12) What companies do you recommed to work for?  Know of
any
currently
                hiring?
                13) With my background, what is the best way to advance and
work my way into
                a real DBA position?

                Thank you, whom ever reads this and answers back with at
least some answers
                to some of the questions.  I really appreciate your help!!!
                Please, respond to me at lbanzali_at_aol.com

                smiles,
                me

                thank you!

                <HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Hi!
                <BR>I'm looking into getting into the field of Database
Administrating.
                &nbsp;Right now, I have experience with MS Access and have
created several
                databases for companies that I have worked with in the past
with Access.
                <BR>
                <BR>I'm looking for a jump in my career and the next
logical
step for me, I
                would think, would be in database field. &nbsp;However, I
also have some
                networking knowledge (Cisco certified...). &nbsp;So, I'm
looking into the
                advantages of both fields. &nbsp;I have some questions
&amp;
I'm not sure
                who to
                ask or where to get my answers. &nbsp;But, here they go:
&nbsp;
                <BR>
                <BR>Questions for a Database Administrator:
                <BR>
                <BR>1) &nbsp;What is your typical workday like?
                <BR>2) Do you work a lot of overtime?
                <BR>3) What are the most valuable databse programs to
learn?
                <BR>4) If I was to look into learning these, should I take
classes?
                &nbsp;Where
                would you recommend I look for classes in the Los Angeles
area?
                <BR>5) What language, if any, are important (Java, XML,
Visual Basic, etc.)?
                <BR>6) What programs are starting to get obsolete?
                <BR>7) Is it worth it to get vendor certifications
(Microsoft, Oracle)? If
                so,
                are there certain books that you recommend to study?
                <BR>8) Is it worth it to get a degree? &nbsp;If so, what
specific one?
                <BR>9) Are there any other programs or technologies that
are
valuable to
                learn?
                <BR>10) Are there any associations or other groups that you
belong to as a
                DBA?
                <BR>11) What kinds of companies hire DBAs?
                <BR>12) What companies do you recommed to work for?
&nbsp;Know of any
                currently
                hiring?
                <BR>13) With my background, what is the best way to advance
and work my way
                into
                a real DBA position?
                <BR>
                <BR>Thank you, whom ever reads this and answers back with
at
least some
                answers
                to some of the questions. &nbsp;I really appreciate your
help!!!
                <BR>Please, respond to me at lbanzali_at_aol.com
                <BR>
                <BR>smiles,
                <BR>me
                <BR>
                <BR>thank you!</FONT></HTML>

                  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

                Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858)
538-5051
                San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access /
message
'ListGuru')
and in
                (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).
You may
                also send the HELP command for other information (like
subscribing).
                Author: Kimberly Smith
                  INET: ksmith2_at_myfirstlink.net

                Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858)
538-5051
                San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access /
Mailing Lists
                To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail
Author: CHAN Chor Ling Catherine (CSC)
  INET: clchan_at_nie.edu.sg

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Author: Kimberly Smith