RE: Data Archiving

From: Kimberly Smith <ksmith2_at_myfirstlink.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 09:52:07 -0800

No
matter what I think you have a headache on your hand.  I think the PL/SQL method will take forever.  Did you
think
of maybe restoring a copy of the production database on the new server and then removing the objects you
don't
need as well as records you don't need?

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com   [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Nirmal Kumar Muthu   KumaranSent: Thursday, December 27, 2001 1:11 AMTo:   Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: Data   Archiving
  Hi all,
  New year Greetings.
  We need to archive some history tables from   the production database to new server. Totally around 50 history   tables we need to move and each table   having around 10 million of records. Some of history tables having records,   which are required for another a year the production database, approximatedly   i can say around 2 million of records in each table   like this.
  So what is the best way to move these   tables?.
  I suggested them to export/import tables and   delete invalid records.
  But another team are planned to do it by a   simple pl/sql script by making cursor, check validity of record, if yes insert   into new server and then delete from production, repeat.   I want to know the best way to do this job   without any major implications.
  Both servers are oracle7.3.1. running on   VAX/VMS.
  Thanks.
  Nirmal. Received on Thu Dec 27 2001 - 11:52:07 CST