RE: XP vs. W2000

From: Larry Elkins <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 17:14:17 -0800

As we are treading towards OT land, I've got a Dell PIII 750 with 512MB on my desktop running WIN2K Pro. I just bought a laptop, Compaq Presario PIII 1.0 Gig Chip with 512MB running XP Pro. I run 8i and 9i on both machines. The laptop is definitely snappier when running OEM 9i. With comparably configured laptops and desktops, you would expect the desktop to be much faster. So, even though my laptop has a 1 Ghz chip vs the 750 Mhz chip on my desktop, I expected the laptop to be slower. And it is when running disk intensive operations -- 4500 RPM on the laptop vs 7200 RPM and a caching controller on the desktop. But otherwise, the laptop with XP seems to be a tad faster, and maybe it's strictly due to the faster processor. It would be interesting to run some benchmarks against the same machine running XP vs. WIN2K -- I'm sure PC Magazine or some other group has already done this.

And I haven't been on the Internet with the laptop since the XP security issues came to light. Something I need to address on the laptop.

Regards,

Larry G. Elkins
elkinsl_at_flash.net
214.954.1781