[OT] Re: Help - DBA interview questions I faced

From: <lembark_at_wrkhors.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 23:43:44 -0800

>> I told them how I could contribute - strengths and weaknesses.
>> I'm great at *****.  I don't know much about YYY, but I'm willing to
>> learn......We cannot know everything.....

> That worked in the "good old days" (pre-2001), not any more, not by a long
> shot These days one is expected to be EXPERT of everything the employers list

Well, at least you have to know more than the person asking the questions :-). As a consultant I regularly run across people who have taken the 20-minute-online-CD prep and gotten mid-level DBA jobs. Once in they're a rather inoperable form of cancer.

I've actually had better luck in most cases by explicitly knowing what I don't know. e.g., for Oracle [at least slightly on topic] I don't claim to understand all of the memory managlement and trigger changes from 8.1.X to 9.0. I also don't claim to know all the foibles of their new substitute construction system. This beats not knowing about it at all.

--
Steven Lembark                              2930 W. Palmer
Workhorse Computing                      Chicago, IL 60647