Re: retrieving objects usign OCI

From: George Schlossnagle <schlossnagle_at_pythian.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 10:29:00 -0800

> Actually this code is written for Oracle8, which I
> believe doesnot support user-defined object retrieval
> using OCI. A casual glance over the code shows that
> there are no OCI calls like OCIDefineObject,
> OCIObjectNew etc. which may be needed to define place
> holders for return values on a statement fetch.

I believe that oci8 supports these calls (I've never used them, but they are in the 8i oci programmers ref guide). I can't give you a reference I can personally vouch for, but these hits off google looked good.

http://www.ms.mff.cuni.cz/~kopecky/ora8doc/appdev.804/a58234/app_exam.htm
http://uisnt1.humboldt.edu/otn/library/product/tools/pg2k/info/oci_tips.pdf
http://www.math.ut.ee/~askot/oradox/orasupp/coderep/cat00009/smpl0069.htm
http://www.math.ut.ee/~askot/oradox/orasupp/coderep/cat00009/smpl0029.htm

Plus of course the Oracle OCI Programmers reference whihc you can get off technet.

As a note Oracle::OCI supports those calls, but I don't see any examples of how it's used besides the ones here:
http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/Tim_Bunce/OCI_Talk1_200106.zip

If whomever mentioned examples of this in work could forward some links for it, I'd be appreciative.

Best of luck,

George

Author: George Schlossnagle
  INET: schlossnagle_at_pythian.com