Re: Help - DBA interview questions I faced

From: Jenny Jacobson <jenny_at_dsl.pitt.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 09:23:36 -0800

What I have found is that interviewing for an Oracle DBA job is quite different from doing the actual job. I've been a contractor - and had to interview after each gig was over.

My job consisted of "action" -
entering the commands, people skills, collecting useful scripts "just in case" - and using them shortly afterwards. When a situation came up, it meant going through my spreadsheet of resources collected over the years.

For interviewing, it can be more theoretical "bookish" - 1. What are the four essential background processes and how are they used. 2. How is an "outer join" different from an "inner join".

I liked the interviews where they told me about their project, and I told them how I could contribute - strengths and weaknesses. I'm great at *****. I don't know much about YYY, but I'm willing to learn.

We cannot know everything. On my last project, we had seven Oracle DBAs. Each one had something to contribute. Sometimes I'd know something that the most seasoned, knowledgeable DBA would not know - because they had not learned new extensions to existing commands.

What I do with difficult interviews - when I haven't done well, is to write down the questions as they are being asked. Research the answers, and be better prepared for the next interview. That's how I got my start in DBA-land. I eventually knew most of the answers to most questions. I even discovered DBAs who had the wrong answers to their own interview questions. What can you do - just keep in mind you're dealing with human beings.

You will end up at the job that is best for you - and the client.

Jenny Jacobson
www.oracle-dba-consulting.com

Author: Jenny Jacobson
  INET: jenny_at_dsl.pitt.edu