Re: Little OT: CLOB, Oracle Text, and ADO

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 09:53:54 -0800

My experience with intermedia or context server, or whatever they call it this week, is in dealing with iFS, so I know just enough to be dangerous. :)

It sounds like you need to have the context server running to periodically update the indexes.

On unix it's 'ctxsrv'. I suggest you read the docs on this and do a search on metalink, there is some helpful information there.

HTH Jared

                    "Witold Iwaniec"

                    <wiwaniec_at_novali       To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    stech.com>             cc:

                    Sent by:               Subject:     Little OT: CLOB, Oracle Text,
and ADO
                    root_at_fatcity.com

                    12/21/01 07:15

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

Hello

It may be little OT but I am sure there are developers here. Also I hope some DBAs may know the answer...

I am experimenting with Oracle Text - need to use the field from a VB application.

I have a table with a CLOB column and a ctxcat index built on that column. If I insert records using SQL Plus, TOAD, or similar tool, the index is automatically updated so my query:

select note_oid from lrmi_note
where catsearch(note_data, 'SomeValue', null) > 0;

returns records matching the condition.

In the application - if I use ADODB.Connection with parameters and execute my insert, the data is written, index automatically updated, and my query returns matching records.

But if I use ADODB.Recordset to write the record, the data is written but the index doesn't get updated. If I open SQL Plus and run:

select * from lrmi_note where note_oid = my_new_oid;

it shows me the record with the CLOB column filled. But if I query the CLOB column using catsearch(), it doesn't return the record. If I rebuild the index, the query with catsearch() will return the records. But one of the reasons to use ctxcat indes is that it is updated with each transaction...

While it may be specific to ADO I wonder if some Oracle gurus know, or can direct to some info, why Oracle doesn't update the ctxcat index even though the record is written and apears correctly.

Witold Iwaniec
Sr Software Developer
NovaLIS Technologies
wiwaniec_at_novalistech.com