RE: Excessive Paging - AIX Related?

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 14:57:27 -0800

Ethan,

AIX performs all file i/o via the OS's virtual memory. In other words, the VM (which is a combination of both the RAM and the Swap) is used for both executable (OS/user code) and user's memory area as well as for I/O buffers. This allocation is dynamic and certain upper and lower limits are set by the parameters in vmtune. At times of high i/o, you will find that the 'fre' mem (seen in vmstat' goes down drastically and the po/fr/sr goes up drastically as a result of old memory pages that served file i/o buffers are paged out. This is normal and in line with what you are observing and is similar to Solaris.

What you *should* be concerned about is excessive values in 'pi' as this indicates excessive paging-*in*, probably due to earlier pageouts of live pages that are still required. You are probably seeing high I/o waits since there is a lot of writes (paging out) to the swap area. 'iostat' will probably indicate that disks that host your swap area are almost 100% loaded. In this case, you should make sure that you (a) spread out swap on multiple disks, making sure that they are NOT on RAID-5. (b) allocate dedicated drives to swap areas if possible (no RAID5!).

FWIW, vmstat in Solaris is able to distinguish between pi/po values for executable, file i/o and 'other' (?) types of paging. Can you find out for us if AIX also provides this? (Don't have access to an AIX box).

Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc