RE: Encryption - Question about the key

From: Austin, Steve S <steve.s.austin_at_xo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:04:43 -0800

No problems with this system; troubleshooting has not been an issue. The key is actually also stored in management's hidden place of choice (I have no knowledge; it's probably in all likelihood either a cleartext file in email or on a few people's hard drives.)

But changing keys is something we're going to need to do, especially as attrition sets in. I had suggested keeping another column on each row as a sort of key sequence (if we convert from one key to another "organically" as the app uses the data) or key seeding value. You could potentially store millions of "keys" in a table further obfuscating the true key -- again -- the main idea here is to split the key management work into the application logic to make it more difficult to get the true key.

Key management is just as tricky as all the other parts, and certainly what we're doing is a lot better than plainly storing the key in the database, but it's got its own weaknesses. I like the idea of using a hardware device to store/manage the keys -- and have all the encrypt/decrypt happen there, so the key is never sent anywhere. That's about as secure as you can get. As long as you implicitly trust that device .. and have a backup of it so there's no single point of failure..

The way I look at security is (mostly) working to keep the honest people honest. You won't *stop* the truly malicious; your best bet is to set traps to alert yourself to their presence and hope to the deity of choice that they fall for your honeypots.

Steve

Author: Austin, Steve S
  INET: steve.s.austin_at_xo.com