RE: recovery during refresh

From: Glenn Travis <Glenn.Travis_at_sas.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 07:15:33 -0800

You can SOMETIMES get away with copying online redo logs when in hot backup mode, IF there is no to little database activity during the hot backup step. BUT I would not do it as a general practice just for the reasons you are experiencing.

CONTROL FILES AND ONLINE REDO LOG FILES SHOULD NOT BE BACKED UP WHILE THE DATABASE IS ACTIVE. Use 'alter system backup controlfile to trace' and 'alter system archive log current' to get the most recent and up to date copies of the data you need to recover/clone/restore.

Author: Glenn Travis
  INET: Glenn.Travis_at_sas.com