Re: Slightly OT : RDA from Oracle

From: A. Bardeen <abardeen1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:52:45 -0800

OK, John, you've let the cat out of the bag so I might as well stop trying to remain incognito ;)

Yes, indeed I did package RDA although you can tell that my Unix skills aren't that great or I would have chosen a less revealing directory structure.

RDA is one of the projects I'll be managing in my new role. I hope to keep what's left of my brain and avoid becoming a PHM, but I'm sure I can count on y'all to point out any signs that I'm becoming a damager ;)

To address some of the issues John brought up about RDA...
> (one little
> script that sets up and one *large* script that
> actually does the stuff)

  That's the current incarnation, but it will be changing in the next few months. We intend to make it more modular so that other areas in Oracle Support can add plug-ins to capture information specific to their needs. We also intend to have the setup portion allow users to skip certain areas of the report if they're not wanted or needed.

> Anyone been asked to run this yet?

  Anyone logging an iTar related to the Oracle Server product should automatically be requested to provide RDA output as part of the iTar logging process. You may also be requested to provide it by the analyst assigned to your iTar. You are, of course, welcome to run RDA for your own benefit as well.

Obviously it's not relevant for all types of tars (e.g. RTFM tars), but it does provide a nice overview of the server environment for many other types of tars.

> Will Oracle Support listen to us if we request
> enhancements?

  Absolutely!! Just please don't use an iTar for your forum. Instead send feedback (positive and negative) to stlibmgr_us_at_oracle.com

Currently I maintain that email account so I'll be the one responding. Try not to be too brutal ;)

I will warn you now that I won't be able to please everyone so I'm not stupid enough to try. I have constraints on what I can do with RDA and one of the major ones is that I can't require any third party products to be used so, sorry Jared, but there's no Perl in RDA's future.

For those of you VMS fans, you'll be happy to know that a version of RDA for VMS is in the works and we hope to have that released by the end of January 2002.

RDA is available only via MetaLink:

Note: 139597.1 "Remote Diagnostic Agent (RDA) for Unix"
Note: 153091.1 "Remote Diagnostic Agent (RDA) for Windows"

For those of you who may have used RDA in the past, version 2.71 was just released for Unix last week. We will have new versions for both Unix and NT/Win2K at the end of the month.

There will probably be new versions every month for the next few months, so be sure to check the above notes for the most recent version.

While I have your attention, feel free to send feedback regarding the ORA-600 Lookup tool to me as well (use stlibmgr_us_at_oracle.com).

Note: 153788.1 "ORA-600 Lookup"

Thanks,

Do You Yahoo!?
Check out Yahoo! Shopping and Yahoo! Auctions for all of your unique holiday gifts! Buy at http://shopping.yahoo.com or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com