Re: Encryption - Question about the key

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:19:25 -0800

Welcome to the security conundrum.

When it comes right down to it, there has to be someone you can trust to have the keys to the kingdom.

Create a separate Oracle account with a single table with one row in it; your key. Create a package containing a function that can use the key to encrypt/decrypt data.

Grant 'execute ' on the package to the application account or users that are trusted to use it.

Users can decrypt and encrypt data only by the interface you provide. Since they don't have the key, the data cannot be decrypted outside of the database, and false encrypted data cannot be inserted into the database without going through your interface.

This gives you the opportunity to examine any data inserted into encrypted columns if you like in the event that you could identify obviously false data.

I'm not a security expert, this is just where I would start with really sensitive data, and then try to find ways to break the security.

When it comes down to it though, you still have to know who you can trust.

Jared

                    "Jamadagni,

                    Rajendra"                 To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    <Rajendra.Jamadagni       cc:

                    @espn.com>                Subject:     Encryption - Question about
the key
                    Sent by:

                    root_at_fatcity.com

                    12/18/01 08:10 AM

                    Please respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Hi all,

I am investigating using dbms_obfuscation_toolkit in my application. Now, I need a key to encrypt and decrypt the key. The question is how to protect the key? The data will be accessed from Forms application, reports, SQR reports, SQLPLUS scripts.

I need to find a mechanism to
* hide the key from developers (or non authorized persons))

What are my options? A column on application users table that is not accessible? Hard coding the key is out of question. Also I need to separate keys for production and development servers.

As I am clueless, any ideas are most welcome.

Happy Holidays
Raj

Rajendra Jamadagni                  MIS, ESPN Inc.
Rajendra dot Jamadagni at ESPN dot com
Any opinion expressed here is personal and doesn't reflect that of ESPN Inc.

QOTD: Any clod can have facts, but having an opinion is an art!

(See attached file: ESPN_Disclaimer.txt)

ESPN_Disclaimer.txt