hard disk configuration question

From: Steve McClure <smcclure_at_usscript.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:16:07 -0800

We are in the process of buying new hardware, and our original configuration called for 10 18 GB drives in a Hitachi disk array cabinet. We are getting some sales pressure to change this to 5 36 GB disks. Now I was planning to spread our DB out over as many mirrored pairs as possible, or maybe even including one RAID1+0 array. The sales folks at Hitachi are telling us that with their new drive array technology, spreading our Data files over as many disks as possible is not necessary. I am supposed to talk to one of their engineers in an hour or so.

I am just wondering if there really is some magic bullet technology I have missed out on, or is there sales guy full of hooey?

They are also pushing the presence of two internal(not in the drive cabinet) drives as alleviating any space concerns. I am wondering what I can use those drives for. I don't think I want to software mirror them, but maybe Sun does this better than I think. Without some kind of redundancy I am reluctant to use these disks for any DB purposes. Any thoughts here are appreciated as well.

Thanks,

Steve McClure

Author: Steve McClure
  INET: smcclure_at_usscript.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Dec 18 2001 - 13:16:07 CST