Re: Fw: tns-12545

From: <Kim_Thompson_at_ci.sf.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 09:51:23 -0800

     Also see Metalink note 91554.1:

     Problem Description:
       =====================

     Trying a SQL*Plus connection from a Windows NT/95/98 client
     workstation to a WINDOWS NT 8.0.x/8.1.x DB server results
     in the following error code:

     ORA-12545: TNS: name lookup failure.
     Cause: The address specified is not valid, or the program being
            connected to does not exist.
     Action: Ensure the ADDRESS parameters have been entered correctly;
             the most likely incorrect parameter is the node name.
             Ensure that the executable for the server exists (perhaps
             "oracle" is missing.) If the protocol is TCP/IP, edit the
             TNSNAMES.ORA file to change the host name to a numeric
             IP address and try again.

             On the client workstation, make sure the IP address of the
             DB server is referenced in the "TNSNAMES.ora" file for each
             aliasname.

             At the DB server, make sure the ip address of the server is
             referenced in the "listener.ora" file.

     Solution Explanation:
     =====================

     In this particular situation, the ip address was referenced
     in the "tnsnames.ora" file on the client workstation. According to
     the trace file, on the redirect packet from the listener, it could
     not resolve the hostname provided in the "listener.ora" file. It
     reported a "hostname lookup failure", with main error code 12545.

     By placing the ip address into the "listener.ora" file, it had no
     problem resolving the ip. After bouncing the listener, SQL*Plus
     should be able to connect with no further errors.
       .

     Kim Thompson
     City and County of San Francisco

_________________________________

Author: "grace" <mglim_at_softhome.net> at ~ctl-internet-po Date: 12/17/01 6:40 PM

Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2001 1:15 AM

> > 0:28-sherlock:ts01:jkstill-4 > oerr tns 12545
> > 12545, 00000, "Connect failed because target host or object does
not > exist"
> > // *Cause: The address specified is not valid, or the program
being > > // connected to does not exist.
> > // *Action: Ensure the ADDRESS parameters have been entered
correctly; the
> > // most likely incorrect parameter is the node name. Ensure that
the > > // executable for the server exists (perhaps "oracle" is missing.)
> > // If the protocol is TCP/IP, edit the TNSNAMES.ORA file to change
the > > // host name to a numeric IP address and try again.
> > [ /home/jkstill/tmp ]
> >
> > 9:15-sherlock:ts01:jkstill-4 >
> >

> > The error message indicates that your tnsnames.ora is in > > all
likelihood incorrect.

> > If you post the listener.ora from the server and the relevant > >
portion of the tnsnames.ora file, someone will probably be
> > able to point it out to you.
> >
> > Jared
> >

> > On Friday 14 December 2001 18:20, grace wrote: > > > hi,
> > >
> > > can anybody help me w/ this error:
> > > TNS-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does

not > exist

Author: grace
  INET: mglim_at_softhome.net

  INET: Kim_Thompson_at_ci.sf.ca.us