Re: Has anybody encountered problems with HISTGRM$ ?

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:19:16 -0800

Stephane,

Wouldn't it be considerably safer to delete statistics and recompute with out histograms?

Jared

                    "Stephane

                    Faroult"              To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    <sfaroult_at_oriol       cc:

                    ecorp.com>            Subject:     Has anybody encountered
problems with HISTGRM$ ?
                    Sent by:

                    root_at_fatcity.co

                    12/17/01 03:05

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

The DBA of one of my customers tried to run one week ago dbms_stats() to analyse all indexed columns. The result was that all queries ended with ORA-00600. As trace files were indicating queries on HISTGRM$ I immediately directed him to the CBO (he had not instantly linked the cause to the effect). His workaround was to switch to RBO, with of course side-effects. When I came to the site, I reached for my axe and cleaned up everything using questionable means, especially against a production database (junior DBAs, please skip the next paragraph. Socrates was sentenced to death for corrupting the youth and I'd rather avoid the same fate).   I first looped on hist_head$ to remove all related rows in histgrm$. Before that any query on DBA_COL_HISTOGRAMS ended in ORA-600. After the loop, to my surprise there still were rows in histgrm$. I deleted them, and still had ORA-600 when querying DBA_COL_HISTOGRAMS. They did not disappeared before I truncated cluster C_OBJ#_INTCOL# (or something like this - the cluster which holds HISTGRM$).   There is no obvious sign of data block corruption; it looks more like a logical corruption. I run the same dbms_stats() command on a copy of the database without any problem, and I don't know where the blame should go.  Has anybody encountered anything even remotely similar? In that case, it is Oracle 8.1.7.2 on Tru64.

TIA, Stephane Faroult
Oriole Corporation
Performance Tools & Free Scripts

http://www.oriole.com, designed by Oracle DBAs for Oracle DBAs