Oralce 8i/9i with Pentium4

From: Hussain Ahmed Qadri <hussain_at_skm.org.pk>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 20:21:08 -0800

Hi all,
AOA
A colleague of mine spent days getting Oracle 8i/9i installed on Pentium 4. It never opened the universal installer initially, but then through some work arounds (dumping the un-installed Oracle8i on the hard drive and running the setup from there) he was able to do that. But now once he has the Oracle installed, he can't create a Database, no matter what he tried, he couldn't do it. Operating system he is using is Linux.

I remember some discussion about this in the LIST, but what I want to know is whether P4 really has some problems with Oracle 8i, especially on Windows NT4 platform, becuase this is what we are using in our organization and we have ordered 60 new PCs (all P4s )to be setup in our hospital. All these systems will be using Oracle 8i (9i in future) on NT4, so I wanted to be sure before we go on with this.

Representatives from the Intel company said that this is an Oracle problem and "dumping the un-installed Oracle8i on the hard drive and running the setup from there" is a solution given by the Oracle Company.

Any body with a complete knowledge???

Thanks and Regards,

Hussain Ahmed Qadri
DBA
SKMCH & RC Received on Thu Dec 13 2001 - 22:21:08 CST