Re: Blocking "illegal" connections

From: <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 05:16:59 -0800

This is my whoison.sql - not mine but I don't remember where I got it.

ttitle off
set pages 40 lines 132
column value heading ''
column sessions_current format 999,999,999 heading '# Currently Logged On' column sessions_highwater format 999,999,999 heading 'Most # Logged On'

column pusername format a8 heading 'Process|User'
column terminal format a14 heading 'Terminal'
column pprogram format a26 heading 'Process program'
column susername format a8 heading 'Session|User'
column server format a9 heading 'Server' column osuser format a8 heading 'Op Sys|User' column sprogram format a27 heading 'Session program' select value from v$parameter where name='db_name'; select
sessions_current, sessions_highwater from v$license;
select
p.username pusername,
s.terminal,
p.program pprogram,
s.username susername,

server,
osuser,
s.program sprogram
from v$process p, v$session s
where addr=paddr(+)
/

If you look at program from v$session you should be able to find "Toad" etc.

                    Walter K

                    <alden14004          To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

                    @yahoo.com>          <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

                    Sent by: root        cc:

                                         Subject:     Blocking "illegal" connections

                    12/12/2001

                    05:20 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Hi,

We're trying to prevent users from connecting to our production database via "illegal" connections (i.e. tools like TOAD, etc.).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to block connections from query tools (i.e. Toad, SQL Nav, etc.) in such a way that an error message is reported back to the tool user that the connection is prohibited? We've tried designing a logon trigger with a PRAGMA definition but the error message is not getting relayed back to the client.

As always, your feedback is appreciated! -w

Do You Yahoo!?
Check out Yahoo! Shopping and Yahoo! Auctions for all of your unique holiday gifts! Buy at http://shopping.yahoo.com or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
Author: Walter K
  INET: alden14004_at_yahoo.com