Architecture Options

From: Tracy Rahmlow <Tracy.Rahmlow_at_aexp.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 13:34:50 -0800

We are currently looking to create some new systems within our shop and struggling to choose what the architecture should look. Everything from 2-tier/n-tier, choice of middleware(whatever that is,since there appears to be many definitions), presentation(browser based vs windows gui), app servers, web servers, languages to use(vb, java, c++ ...) and when (eg write batch in pl/sql procedures w/i the db or separate components that reside outside of the database) yada yada yada. Does anybody know of any sites where we can go to obtain more information(points to consider, pros/cons) of particular tools/languages/models to aid us in making our decisions. Or am I living in a dreamworld? In other words, if there were no barriers(cost, training...) how would you design the archicture to support an oltp application of approximately 500 users, yet provide flexibility, scaleability and all those buzzwords. In addition, what would the architecture look like for integrating a datawarehouse with an oltp environment?

Oh, by the way we have decided to continue to use Oracle, that is not on the table.

Author: Tracy Rahmlow
  INET: Tracy.Rahmlow_at_aexp.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Dec 12 2001 - 15:34:50 CST