Re: diagnosing latch free

From: Doug C <dcowles_at_i84.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:25:26 -0800

Hey Anita!
Thanks for the useful info.
Actually, after the stats were hanging I started querying various tables and those queries also started hanging; queries on v$latch and a couple of others. I finally shutdown abort and got an ORA-600 error. I looked it up on the extremely handy ORA-600 tool and found that the first argument - 1113 indicated the following...

VERSIONS:
  versions 7.3.X to 8.1.7

  This is generally an in memory (SGA) corruption or due to a bug   in mishandling the state objects.

FUNCTIONALITY:
  STATE OBJECT MANAGER   IMPACT:
  PROCESS FAILURE
  POSSIBLE INSTANCE FAILURE IF DETECTED BY PMON PROCESS   NON CORRUPTIVE - No underlying data corruption.

  Bug 1307247: ORA-600 [1113] WHEN AN ANALYZE OPERATION FAILS OR IS CANCELLED   fixed in 8.0.6.3, 8.1.7.1 and 9.0.0 releases.

So I think it had something to do with bailing out of an analyze. I'm not sure how things got gummed up in the first place but the db is fine now.

Author: Doug C
  INET: dcowles_at_i84.net