Insatiable smon process

From: Jo King <rob.langmuir_at_virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 13:55:59 -0800

OS Environment    HP-UX
11.0
Oracle Version
 8.0.5.2.1

A situation arose whereby the DBA issued a shutdown immediate, which did not complete  in what was considered a reasonable time period, so a shutdown abort was issued. I believe there was active transaction(s) running at the time.

The DBA restarted Oracle instance and accordingly crash recovery was completed, however SMON process obviously feels the need to 'clean up' something as it is clocking up cpu hand-over-fist, and shows no inclination to ever stop.

It has all the appearance of
looping......

And Now....A shutdown immediate
will never complete...Shutdown abort followed by restart sees SMON going at it all over
again - Why not...it believes it's got some clearing-up to do; but it's NOT able to...no matter how much time you give it.

A sample trace in UDUMP dest shows ..."Waiting for SMON to disable TX recovery" ( this is from my memory)

If anyone has any ideas on what might be causing SMON to fret so, and how we might "arrest SMON".

It is non Production, but nevertheless a semi-important System test environment.

This is a colleague of mine's database, and I have attempted to assist, but so far I'm no nearer to resolving it.

It's been put to sleep tonight, but when it wakes up tomorrow, SMON will still have this Hangover.

regards....../Bob

P.S     Jo King is just an alias
!