RE: DB Design and Views

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:51:54 -0800

Stephan,

Contrary to what has been mentioned, the optimizer actually performs a number of transformations on the submitted query using the Query transformer - this includes 'view merging' which basically rewrites the query by merging the view query block into the query block that contains the view. According to the doco, most of the views are merged, with an exception of few types of views. Now there is no detail on what these few types are, but I do know that 'simple' views that provide a layer for security (and multiple 'simple' layers for that matter) are efficiently merged. I think Guy Harrison's SQL tuning book has the details.

Warm wishes for the season,
John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc