Re: Datawarehouse Sizes.....informal poll.

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 09:46:50 -0800

On Friday 07 December 2001 20:35, Robert Chin wrote:
> >> My short take on this is that a datawarehouse is a OLTP database......
>
> What ??? I think you should keep that "short take" to yourself for the
> benefit of those who are seeking to learn/understand about DWH.
> It's not uncommon to find OLTP databases with de-normalized data, and they
> are certainly NOT DWH.

Robert,

tday6 was not far off the mark.

First off, the logical design for an OLTP database should not have denormalizations in it.

Secondly, a Data Warehouse will very much resemble an OLTP database with the addition of time series data.

The structure of a Data Warehouses are designed to extract data to create data marts. Users shouldn't even be allowed near the Data Warehouse, that's what data marts are for.

Mr. Inmon himself subscribes to the gist of this description of DW systems. Try not to to be so critical until you are somewhat more enlightened, and even then you could use a little tact.

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com