Re: RAID system max throughput

From: Don Granaman <granaman_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 15:38:48 -0800

Whenever someone (especially a vendor) says something like "Don't worry about it...", I worry about it. Who told you that this was "simplistic thinking"? I've been told similar things a number of times - and proved them wrong in every single case. "With hardware RAID, RAID-5 is just as fast as RAID 1+0". "With EMC Symmetrix you don't want to stripe". "SAME - Just splatter all your files randomly across a monster stripe set using every possible disk". And the ever popular one you are encountering now.

A lot of those things are at true - to a point. Beyond that point it matters. Hardware RAID, cache, and such can buy you performance, but there is still some threshold beyond which the old-timey DBA intelligent file placement, striping and such will be necessary. There is a difference between "good enough for now" and "optimal". I would rather build it better from the start, even if I don't need the performance immediately, than wait until its a crisis and only then frantically rebuild everything.

See Gaja's paper on RAID at http://www.quest.com/whitepapers/Raid1.pdf .

-Don Granaman
[OraSaurus]

> Jack - Well, that's what I thought. I could see where the disk would
be a
> lot better about streaming data off the disk if the data was
arranged in a
> favorable manner rather than randomly located. However, I was told
that was
> simplistic thinking and that modern RAID systems are much more
sophisticated
> than that. And I'm willing to concede that a RAID system is more
complex
> than simple drives. I'm just hoping that someone on this list has
more
> experience on the database/hardware interface. Thanks.

RAID
> controller or channel.
>
> Could that possibly be the case?
>
> Jack
>
> --------------------------------
> Jack C. Applewhite
> Database Administrator/Developer
> OCP Oracle8 DBA
> iNetProfit, Inc.
> Austin, Texas
> www.iNetProfit.com
> japplewhite_at_inetprofit.com
> (512)327-9068

throughput". Maybe
> I'm wrong, but I don't see any of the tuning books mentioning that
as a
> relevant performance characteristic. However, I've never been able
to move
> the discussion beyond this point. Can anyone straighten me out on
this point
> or point me to a resource that might be applicable.
>
> Our system is Oracle 8.1.6, Compaq Tru64. We use hardware RAID-5
with a
> battery-backed RAM cache, and have about 3 RAID sets (plus some
extra disks
> for redo logs, etc.), and performance is fine, but I'm always
looking as to
> how we can improve Oracle performance. The application is our
corporate ERP
> system.
>
> Dennis Williams
> DBA
> Lifetouch, Inc.
> dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

> Author: Jack C. Applewhite
> INET: japplewhite_at_inetprofit.com

> San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing
Lists

Author: Don Granaman
  INET: granaman_at_home.com