RE: Password Changes

From: Hand, Michael T <HANDM_at_polaroid.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 12:46:56 -0800

Jared, All,

The challenge has been accepted.

In this episode of "This Old Password" we search for the lost password with the help of sql_trace and a new test profile. And voila, we discover the SYS table user_history$. The moral of the story is that if the aforementioned user is assigned a profile where Password_Reuse_Time or Password_Reuse_Max is not Unlimited (the default), then old passwords will be stored in user_history$.password until they are no longer required to enforce the profile constraints. If the user is not assigned this type of profile you are out of luck. And, of course, you would have to disable the profile to reset the password to an already-been-used value.

You never know what you'll start with some questions ;-) Have a great weekend.

Mike

Author: Hand, Michael T
  INET: HANDM_at_polaroid.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Dec 07 2001 - 14:46:56 CST