RE: Cannot Drop Column

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 12:13:41 -0800

Oracle 8i
ALTER TABLE name DROP COLUMN name;
ROR mô¿ôm

>>> Jared.Still_at_radisys.com 12/07/01 02:25PM >>>

Ken,

Just add the column with the correct name, and leave the other one alone.

You could create a check constraint to make sure it isn't used.

Better yet, create a real account and don't use SYS or SYSTEM, as that is never a good idea.

As you've already discovered, it really isn't all that convenient. ;)

Jared

                    Ken Janusz

                    <ken.janusz_at_su       To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    fsys.com>            cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     RE: Cannot Drop Column

                    root_at_fatcity.c

                    om

                    12/07/01 09:50

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

Dave:

I am working on a database to do a DB conversion from IMS to 8.1.7. It is only being used to load the data for the conversion process. No application
software will be connected to it. So, for convenience I am doing everything
as SYS. I am the only person using this DB on a dedicated W2000 server. I accidentally added this column by the wrong name, so I want to delete the column so I can add the column with the correct name. I would change the name of the column but I have not found any syntax to do this. Thanks,
Ken
Author: Ken Janusz
  INET: ken.janusz_at_sufsys.com

  INET: DBarbour_at_austin.isd.tenet.edu

Author: Ken Janusz
  INET: ken.janusz_at_sufsys.com

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

Author: Ron Rogers
  INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Dec 07 2001 - 14:13:41 CST