RE: Datawarehouse Sizes.....informal poll.

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 08:40:42 -0800

Ross - Still hung up on size hmmm.

        How about this for a definition. A data warehouse encompasses data for the entire organization. A data mart services data for a portion of the organization.

        The history of this subject is relevant. In the 80's there were Executive Information Systems. Systems couldn't host much data then, but these were an attempt to have the relevant data the executives needed to make decisions. This didn't pan out.

        Then in the 90's came the Data Warehouse movement. Put all the data for the entire organization into a single database. Problem was that people spent years squabbling over the design and by the time the data warehouse was built, the business had evolved and the data warehouse wasn't very relevant. Some warehouses were successful, but many were not. This made everyone skittish about claiming they had a data warehouse.

        Meanwhile, some departments got tired of waiting and created their own. These came to be called data marts. Many of these data marts were able to show immediate results, so "data mart" sounds nice.

        As to size, the data marts at one organization may be larger than another organization's data warehouse.

        But as data marts matured, problems emerged. One data mart is great, but when an organization has dozens, you can get different results from different data marts because they were built with different data models, extract data at different times, and treat data differently. And if each data mart separately extracts data from the operational systems, this causes a lot of overhead.

        Now the whole field of data warehousing has matured. People that build them realize that warehouses aren't simple to build and there is more tolerance from management as to the effort required. And many organizations are seeing significant benefits.

Ross - well that is about the limit of my knowledge. I don't know where you are heading with the warehousing, but I would highly recommend the mailto:dwlist-request_at_datawarehousing.com list. There are some real experts on that list (even Ralph Kimball participates from time to time), yet they are amazingly tolerant of newby questions. Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Mohan, Ross
  INET: MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com

Author: Mohan, Ross
  INET: MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Dec 07 2001 - 10:40:42 CST