DBA Weakest Link

From: Paul Vallee <dbalist_at_pythian.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 06:49:41 -0800

Hello DBAs,

I'm having a company holiday party today, and as you all may know my company employs mostly DBAs. (Pythian is an Oracle DBA Outsourcing shop.)

I'm thinking of having a "DBA Weakest Link" game for fun at some point of the evening. Yes, I know, the partners/husbands/wives will think it's a bit of a bore, but imagine the fun for us DBAs! :-)

So what I'm trying to do is get many, many weakest link-style questions
(with answers) ready. I want them mostly to be easy, but with the odd hard
one snuck in for unfairness. Please help out by submitting your questions, and I'll summarize and post the complete list back to the list when I'm done!

Sound like fun? I'll get us started with a format.

Q: Name the Oracle error for "Table or view does not exist"? A: Ora-00942, 942

Q: Which of the following return a value? Procedure, Function, Package, Index?
A: Function

Q: In what version of Oracle did the cursor sharing feature become available? 7.3, 8.0, or 8.1?
A: 8.1

Q: In Oracle, the function that averages values is called: Average, or AVG? A: AVG. Q: The structure Oracle uses to protect a region from memory from concurrent access is called: Lock, Latch, or Library Catch? Q: Latch

Q: Larger block sizes make more efficient use of the buffer cache, or less efficient?
A: Less efficient.

I'd like to get at least a hundred ready for the game, preferably more. Thanks for your help!

Paul

---
www.pythian.com -- vallee_at_pythian.com -- 877-PYTHIAN
Smarter than adding another team member, Pythian has new services for
supplementing DBAs: get our help with monitoring, 24x7 on-call, daily
verifications, storage management, performance and more.

Author: Paul Vallee
  INET: dbalist_at_pythian.com