Re: RE: Has anyone heard of "Mirror Accessible"?

From: Don Granaman <granaman_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 23:41:15 -0800

Is Las Vegas laying odds on this? I've got a few bucks I would wager against...

This is not just unreasonable, but insane - even assuming that everything goes perfectly (it won't). It is more reasonable to assume that a horse is a perfect sphere or that the Israeli-Palestinian problem could be solved once and for all with a coin toss. Keep the Uzi around for a while after the upgrades. You may need it for self-defense when these same damagers come scapegoat hunting.

Don't underestimate the benefit of the "remotely" part. At least they won't hear you swearing at them and you won't have several of them in your cube at all times - looking over your shoulder, asking intensely stupid questions, and constantly talking on their cell phones relaying status reports! Also, if you have to make a break for it, you'll have a decent lead.

Only a few years ago, I thought that Dilbert was comic exaggeration. I have since come to the profound realization that it is subtle understatement.

-Don Granaman
[OraSaurus]

> I hear you. Some one came up with the idea that 30+
> HPUX 10.20, Oracle 7.3.3 systems could be updated to
> HPUX 11.x, Oracle 8.1.7 in less than 36 hours, with
> only 2 dba's and 2 sysadms, remotely.
>
> I shudder to think of the psychoactive compound
> dosages that led to this conclusion. Oh well, I've
> got spare pillows out in the truck, right next to the
> postal worker uniform and the uzi...
>
> --S
>

> --- sdlockhart_at_bigplanet.com wrote:
> > Ain't being a DBA glamorous???
> >
> > Me, I'm just in it because I heard that DBA's get
> > all the chicks :)
> >
> > Believe me, I feel your pain. I have more Oracle
> > 7.3.4 databases here to upgrade than I can say
> > without embarassment. That's what I get for being
> > the new hire. :)
> >
> > A fellow DBA,
> > Scott Lockhart
> > Oracle DBA
> > I-Link, Ltd.
> > Draper, UT
> > --
> > Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> > http://www.orafaq.com
> > --
> > INET: sdlockhart_at_bigplanet.com
> >
> > Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX:
> > (858) 538-5051
> > San Diego, California -- Public Internet

> > from). You may
> > (like subscribing).

> http://greetings.yahoo.com
> Author: Scott Shafer
> INET: sknd100_at_yahoo.com

> San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing
Lists

Author: Don Granaman
  INET: granaman_at_home.com