Re: V7 online backups

From: Don Granaman <granaman_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 23:27:04 -0800

How about EBU? It is actually fairly good in 7.3.4+ and is very straightforward to set up. Like RMAN, It uses a database catalog, but the command syntax is radically different - in my opinion, much more straightforward. It also include a shell command line utility named ebutool that is quite useful. I used it for years on many systems without significant problems.

What hardware (e.g. DLT IV, etc.) and software (e.g. Veritas NetBackup) resources do you already have? Will the entire backup fit on one tape? If so, I have a set of ksh & SQL scripts that do extensive error checking and get the file list dynamically from v$datafile - so no "new" datafiles are overlooked. They also do archive log cleanup, can verify the backup by reading it off of the tape, and some other stuff. These scripts may or may not be appropriate for your case.

Don Granaman
[OraSaurus]

> I'm not sure if I'm bragging or complaining, but I've never setup
> or supported online backups for Oracle. I'm being directed to
> implement online backups for a V7.3.4.5 instance. A search of
> OTN reveals that Oracle no longer seems to have any V7 documents
> available anymore. :-(
>
> Since this DB is stuck at V7.3.4.5 for at least 6 more months,
> I need to get online backups operational without using RMAN.
> If somebody who has *nix shell script(s) or Perl code that
> implements online backups, I'd appreciate if you would send a
> copy my way. I'm just looking for something to get me started.
>
> TIA & HAND!
>
> --
> Charlie Mengler Maintenance Warehouse
> charliem_at_mwh.com 10641 Scripps Summit
Ct.

Author: Don Granaman
  INET: granaman_at_home.com