RE: Parallel Server

From: Johnston, Tim <TJohnston_at_quallaby.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 16:47:43 -0800

What version and platform??? I've had some exposure to OPS in 7.3 on HP a couple years ago and it was nightmare... I've heard it is much better now though... Anyone using the 9i stuff yet??? I'm sure there are people with more recent experience and their input more up to date than mine... That being said, my concerns are that OPS is a relatively low usage product for Oracle... And therefore, when you encounter an issue, it is more likely that it is a "new" bug... Which means more diagnostic patches, down time, less people with experience to talk to and more sleepless nights... Been there, done that... If I were you, I wouldn't consider it unless it was at least 8.1 or above... Get used to raw devices... I'm not sure, but I think the Oracle OPS license is fairly expensive... I really don't know for sure though... And, make sure you have enough money in the budget to have an OPS system in your TEST environment... Trust me on that one... Regardless of the version...

My questions are... Is this a new app or will you try to port an existing app to OPS? Is this solely a failover standby? What is the failover time requirements? How much money do you have to spend? Have you considered standby databases? Either from Oracle or a third party (i.e. Shareplex)... How big is the database?

Tim

PS - Yes... There are classes available for OPS...

Author: Smith, Ron L.
  INET: rlsmith_at_kmg.com

Author: Johnston, Tim
  INET: TJohnston_at_quallaby.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Dec 05 2001 - 18:47:43 CST