RE: Embedding perl in Oracle

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 15:22:36 -0800

How well does MySQL scale. How does it handle parallel direct inserts? Does it do it better than the Oracle OCI interface. We've got an Oracle experiment running now for our channel archive data, real time data from sensors monitoring the accelerator. We haven't switched off the old write to linked files method, and won't for a year.

However, the proposed NLC, Next Linear Collider, will need to capture this data at a rate of 10,000 gigabytes!! a second. Of course one might question the utility of collecting monitoring data at a petabyte a second. If the project is approved, people have five years to come up with the why and how.

Perhaps I should recommend they use MySQL :)

Author: Tim Bunce
  INET: Tim.Bunce_at_pobox.com

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

Author: MacGregor, Ian A.