RE: buffer busy wait & latch free ( cache buffer chain )

From: Binley Lim <Binley.Lim_at_ird.govt.nz>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 15:46:00 -0800

If on 8.1.7, there are several bugs relating to waiting for latch-free on cache-buffer-chains, and the possibility of the instance hanging.

One is 1967363, and at least two others are still open after applying that patch.

Changing cache buffer latches/buckets is not mentioned in those bugs, and since they are underscored, I would approach with caution.

>>> dcutrone_at_afip.gov.ar 12/05/01 08:30AM >>>
Vivek:

    To combat the latch free- cache buffer chain problem, I would first check in v$latch_children if the contention is even across all cache buffer chain latches. If this is the case case (most of the time it is not) , I would add more cache buffer latches. If this is not the case, as ARUN suggested, I would find out which buffers are hot and I would investigate WHY they are hot. (Ussually because of a bad SQL-- you should fix them! )

    According to BBW problem, try to identify the segment involved and the cause (p1=file , p2=block and p3=cause from a 10046 trace) and then according to p3 there are some changes that can be done.

HTH
Diego

Author: Binley Lim
  INET: Binley.Lim_at_ird.govt.nz