RE: Message to Session Users - How's it done in your org ?

From: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY) <Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 15:33:19 -0800

If the database server is a Windows server and you want to send to Windows clients on a LAN / WAN how about something like the following

set def &
undef the_msg;

define the_msg = 'Hello';

select distinct
  ' rem user name : ' || username || ', os user: ' || osuser || chr(10)   || 'net send ' || replace ( replace(machine,'DOMAIN1\') , 'DOMAIN2\' ) || ' ' || '&the_msg'
from
  ( select username , osuser , machine from v$session where user# <> 0 order by username )
;
undef the_msg;
-- end of netsend.sql

You could add a spool command, send the output to a batch file and then use host command to run the batch file.
It could be improved to remove any generic domain by using substr and instr but I haven't had the need to do that.

Is this the type of thing you are after?

Regards,
Bruce Reardon

Author: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY)
  INET: Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Dec 04 2001 - 17:33:19 CST