Changes to db after renaming mount points

From: Sujatha Madan <Sujatha.Madan_at_cmc.cwo.net.au>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 20:27:20 -0800

Hi,

I now have extra disks so I am re-arranging our databases. We will also be renaming the mount points (obviously the db's are on UNIX - HP-UX).

I just want to confirm the steps I would have to do for this:

  1. Make a cold backup
  2. Move Controlfiles:
    (i) copy existing cf's to new location
    (ii) edit the control_files parameter in init.ora to change the existing
    cf name.
  3. Rename/move redo logs:
    (i) Copy existing redo logs to new location
    (ii) Do a ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE for each redo log moved
  4. Rename/move datafiles:
    (i) Copy existing df's to new location
    (ii) Do a ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE for each datafile moved.

Does this sound fine? ... Have I missed anything? ... or should I look out for something special?

Thanks for your help

Sujatha

Author: Sujatha Madan
  INET: Sujatha.Madan_at_cmc.cwo.net.au