Re: killing system user

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 12:34:35 -0800

Deepak,

To be quite honest, I can't remember. I'm like that with details sometimes.
I tend to forget them, though I remember the reason I learned them in the first place. :)

This is on MetaLink somewhere if you care to look for it. I really can't do that now. It's back to the grindstone for me.

The grindstone in this case being iFS 1.1.9. Ah the joy of troubleshooting. :)

Jared

                    Deepak Thapliyal

                    <deepakthapliyal@       To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    YAHOO.COM>              cc:

                    Sent by:                Subject:     Re: killing system user

                    root_at_fatcity.com

                    12/03/01 09:55 AM

                    Please respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Hi Jared

why does the serial# have to change due to rollback? lots of us would be curious for a brief expln ...

Thx
Deepak
--- Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com> wrote:

> The session is rolling back, you can't kill it.
>
> This is why the serial# is changing.
>
> The following query can be used to track its
> progress.
>
> select s.osuser
> ,s.username
> ,s.sid
> ,r.segment_name
> ,t.space
> ,t.recursive
> ,t.noundo
> ,t.used_ublk
> ,t.used_urec
> ,t.log_io
> ,t.phy_io
> ,substr(sa.sql_text,1,200) txt
> from v$session s,
> v$transaction t,
> dba_rollback_segs r,
> v$sqlarea sa
> where s.taddr=t.addr
> and t.xidusn=r.segment_id(+)
> and s.sql_address=sa.address(+);
>
> Jared
>

> On Sunday 02 December 2001 22:55, Tatireddy,
> Shrinivas (MED, Keane) wrote:
> > Hi lists,
> >
> > Solaris 2.7
> > oracle 8i
> >
> > I have a session "SYSTEM" doing import into a
> table. (logged into server
> > thru telnet from win 98 PC)
> >
> > Suddenly the power outage occurred to my PC.
> >
> > When I logged into the server thru telnet, I found
> that the session is
> > active.
> > By mistake, I killed the process at o/s level.
> >
> > For somereasons,I tried to drop the table. But I
> failed to do it, as it
> > is locked by import process.
> >
> > I tried to kill the user "SYSTEM". But the oracle
> is giving error that
> > there is not user with such sid and serial number.
> >
> > The serial# number is often getting changed when I
> query from v$session.
> >
> > Is there a way to kill this user, without shutting
> down the database.
> >
> > And why different serial# number each time, I
> query v$SESSION.?
> >
> > Any clues?
> >
> > Thnx and Regards,
> >
> > Srinivas
> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com
> --
> Author: Jared Still
> INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com
>
> Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX:
> (858) 538-5051
> San Diego, California -- Public Internet

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com