rman oddities

From: Koivu, Lisa <lisa.koivu_at_efairfield.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 11:34:42 -0800

Hi Ruth, thanks so much for responding.

Yes, I wrote the scripts to do an arclog backup delete.  I'm concerned about the arclogs hanging around after a restore and taking up disk space, along with unnecessarily inflating the size of my backup files.  (I'm testing backup to disk right now)

It's more of a nice to know, not necessary.  I'm seeing some weird stuff that I didn't expect and the monkey in me wants to know why...  No, not the baby :)  Here's some other odd behavior I've seen:

1.  Instance failure during a backup leaves the rman files intact but the backup itself is not reflected in the catalog.  The database recovers nicely from this since no tablespaces are in hotbackup mode (yesssssssss)  The end result is "orphan" rman files that the catalog knows nothing about.

2.  Initially these files are created the size of all datafiles combined.  As the backup progresses, the size of the files shrink down considerably.   For example, I allocate 3 channels to disk and setsize to 2GB, but the files start out at 1.5GB and shrink down to ~500 MB.   I wonder if that behavior happens on tape?  Anyone?  I'll be able to test this later this week.

3.  Can restore and recovery really be this easy?  Sheesh

Thanks again for your response.  And list, please correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

yours in Monkeying Around,
Lisa

Author: Ruth Gramolini
  INET: rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists