RE: Export/Import Job

From: Hallas John <John.Hallas_at_btcellnet.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 04:20:28 -0800

<SPAN

class=92505111-03122001>Exporting an individual schema within APPS (GL /PA etc) is not recommended due to the number of constraints that cross schemas (to fnd tables for instance).
So
changing the block size is essentially non Apps specific and is just a straight export /import.
<SPAN

class=92505111-03122001>Depending on your hardware and plan I would have expected you to be able to start on a Saturday and complete on Sunday (sometime).
Run as
much archiving/purging as you can (certainly tables like fnd_requests should be tidied down as much as possible).
Have a
few dummy runs so that the the scripts are all fully tested and you have a good checklist of all the scripts and expected timings. Most
importantly of all ensure that you can revert back from your backup safely and as quickly as possible.
<SPAN

class=92505111-03122001>Hopefully you will have the space to pre-create the instance (dummy sid) and then rename it once you have completed the export of live (Come to think of it, if you have that space you can retain both instances and that certainly helps if you decide to abandon the build or revert for any reason)
<SPAN

class=92505111-03122001>
<SPAN

class=92505111-03122001>
PS
Unless the database really needs re-building what other benefits do you expect from changing the block size?
<SPAN

class=92505111-03122001>
<SPAN

class=92505111-03122001>HTH
<SPAN

class=92505111-03122001>
<SPAN

class=92505111-03122001>John
<SPAN

class=92505111-03122001>
<SPAN

class=92505111-03122001>

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Nick Wagner   [mailto:Nick.Wagner_at_quest.com]Sent: 30 November 2001   21:05To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   Export/Import Job
  If anyone out
  there has a good time estimate for the following export/import job I would   appreciate it.  The goal is to change the DB_BLOCK_SIZE.

  <SPAN
  class=611002720-30112001>
  Application:
  Oracle Apps 11i
  Database Size:
  100GB, actually only about 80GB is used space.   2 CPU HP L-Class
  machine.
  <SPAN
  class=611002720-30112001>
  I just need a
  couple of good estimates of how many days/hours this will take.     I'm guessing around 3 days...  but I have never done anything this large   before.
  <SPAN
  class=611002720-30112001>
  Thanks!!

  <SPAN
  class=611002720-30112001>
  <SPAN
  class=611002720-30112001>Nick

This electronic message contains information from the mmO2 plc Group which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone or email (to the numbers or address above) immediately.