Re: stripes, partitions, and spindles

From: <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 06:34:09 -0800

Let's see if I can remember a summary of our last discussion on this.

RAID 10 (mirror then stripe) is the way to go unless it's a decision support database (mostly read only) in which case RAID 5 takes fewer platters.

If you have enough spindles, I personally would treat them as disks and go with the "DBA Handbook" OFA. Try to avoid not just "disk" contention but also controller contention.

If you have a small number of users connected at any one time, make the stripe small. This will spread data over many platters and allow a single user's query to be answered by multiple heads. On the down side, it will tie up the RAID device for the duration of the data fetch. If you have a large number of users at any one time, make the stripe small. This reduces the number of heads being used to answer a single user's query and allows the RAID device to fetch data for multiple users simultaneously.

I would take the "general ledger" table and put it in its own tablespace and probably spread that tablespace across multiple spindles by using several datafiles.

I hope that this sparks a useful discussion.

                    Ruth

                    Gramolini            To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

                    <rgramolini          <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

                    @tax.state.vt        cc:

                    .us>                 Subject:     stripes, partitions, and
spindles
                    Sent by: root

                    11/30/2001

                    07:55 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Good morning all,

We have purchased new IBM AIX boxes and the guy whole sold them to us is here puting them together. ( He used to work for IBM.) The question rises again, do I put my tablespaces on separate spindles, e.g. Data on one, Data2
(big extents) on 2, Index1, Index2 all on separate spindles or do I stipe
everything. We are planning to partition or largest table (bottleneck) after the duhvelopers figure out how to do it.

We will have plenty of spindles for system,redo, etc.

I need some good arguments for each. I don't really think the ex-IBMer should have the final word.

We have a three-tier application which all employees use and nightly batch processing. We have two databases which run separately during the day and communicat with each other at night through db_links. Everything runs through this one huge table (it is like a general ledger).

The boss says she has run a stiped Oracle database in the past but doesn't really know if this is the best.

I will be eternally grateful for all info.

TIA,
Ruth

Author: Ruth Gramolini
  INET: rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us