Re: Has anyone heard of "Mirror Accessible"?

From: Don Granaman <granaman_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:40:19 -0800

There seems to be a bit of confusion here. RAC is not related to "standby database". DataGuard is the big enhancement for standby databases in 9i. RAC is the name for the 9i incarnation of OPS (Oracle Parallel Server.). If the "database to be mirrored", then it is completely independent of OPS/RAC - which shares a single database. It could be a standby database, geo-mirroring, ...

The term "mirror accessible" sounds like it came from one of those pseudo-technical trade magazine articles that are famous for misinforming senior IT management. ;-)

-Don Granaman
[OraSaurus]

> Jay - I did a search on Google and that returned nada, so I don't
believe
> that "mirror accessible" is a bona fide term. However, looking at
your words
> "Oracle has a product . . . database to be mirrored for reporting
purposes",
> he might be referring to Oracle9i's Real Application Clusters.
> In the Oracle 8i incarnation, there was a limitation with a standby
> database. The standby could be made current by applying the redo
logs from
> the production database (using recovery), then opened and used for
> reporting. But you couldn't have both - currency and reporting. I
think I
> heard that with Oracle 9i RAC this limitation has been bypassed so
you can
> do reporting while the logs are continuing to be applied. Don't take
my word
> for it (this is Friday after all), but you might want to look at
RAC, and
> maybe someone more knowledgeable than me will respond on this list.
> Dennis Williams
> DBA
> Lifetouch, Inc.
> dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Oracle has a
> product called "mirror accessible" which allows the database to be
mirrored
> for reporting purposes. He wants us to use this product.
>
> Now I'm familiar with the EMC solution, Quest's Shareplex, Oracle
Standby

Author: Don Granaman
  INET: granaman_at_home.com